The parish of Our Lady of Good Counsel was established on the 9th of April 1943. Fr. Eugene Trainor then a curate in St. Michael’s Parish, Inchicore, was appointed the first Parish Priest.
Some nine months later on the 10th January 1944 the National Schools complex, then regarded as one of the largest in Europe was officially opened by the then Minister for Education, Thomas O’Derrig.
In 1956 a Secondary Top was created offering education up to Intermediate Certificate standard and this was followed in 1967 by full Secondary School for girls offering education up to Leaving Certificate.
Our present school, Our Lady of Mercy coeducational Secondary School, was established in September 1973 and caters for students from the parish and beyond its boundaries.