The Green Schools Committee
What is Green Schools at Our Lady of Mercy?
- Green-Schools, known internationally as Eco-Schools, is an international environmental education programme, environmental management system and award scheme that promotes and acknowledges long-term, whole school action for the environment.
- Unlike a once-off project, it is a long-term programme that introduces participants (students, teachers, parents and the wider community) to the concept of an environmental management system.
- Our committee meets once per week year round every lunch time and promotes participation by all students from 1st to 6th
What we do……..
- Participate in activities involving environmental issues.e.g. Holding energy awareness talks, road safety activities, learning about efficient gardening/composting techniques, pollution analysis in the surrounding area by using lichens as primary indicators and cycle training.
- Each year our school is given a theme to follow and once every two years our green flag is renewed provided that we have followed all of the seven steps. See http://www.greenschoolsireland.org/about-us/seven-steps-and-themes.573.html
- Fiona Keary Green Schools Coordinator
- Aaron Gannon, Sean Villasenor, Thomas McDonnell, Wayne Taaffe, Eddie Wall, Hazera Khatun, Michael McDonnell.