What we do……..
- Participate in activities involving environmental issues.e.g. Holding energy awareness talks, road safety activities, learning about efficient gardening/composting techniques, pollution analysis in the surrounding area by using lichens as primary indicators and cycle training.
- Each year our school is given a theme to follow and once every two years our green flag is renewed provided that we have followed all of the seven steps.
- You can find out more about the Green Schools project by clicking here
What is Green Schools at Our Lady of Mercy?
- Green-Schools, known internationally as Eco-Schools, is an international environmental education programme, environmental management system and award scheme that promotes and acknowledges long-term, whole school action for the environment.
- Unlike a once-off project, it is a long-term programme that introduces participants (students, teachers, parents and the wider community) to the concept of an environmental management system.
- Our committee meets once per week year round every lunch time and promotes participation by all students from 1st to 6th
- We are delighted to announce that we are in the second year of our Biodiversity theme. This means that we are looking to increase the number of different plant species found in the grounds of the school
- In 2018/2019 we added three lovely planters made by the Men’s Shed. We have planted some wild flowers in some planters and potato plants in another
- This year we plan to increase the number of plants around the school even more by building small planters from reclaimed wood. In these we are looking to plant various different flowers, vegetables, and herbs
- You can find out more about the Biodiversity theme by clicking here
- Mr. Dunne Green Schools Coordinator
- Class Peadar
- Class Peig